Friday 28 November 2014

Easy Jollof Twist



   Rice was the only thing I could think of  last night and I knew I just had to have it. Only problem was I wanted it instantly. I had spent the whole day not eating anything other than the mug of lemon tea and a banana I'd had in the morning; I didn't feel like eating anything else until the pangs of hunger hit me  almost at dinner time and all I could see through my hunger stricken eyes was rice; like a zombie, I went about making a quick one and hellz yea, La food, La yummy; La palate, La happy Lol. Read on for the recipe.
What you need :
1 cup of Basmati rice
5 cups of water or Chicken stock
2 seasoning cubes
A small piece of ginger about an inch(peeled )
2 cloves of garlic
3 fresh Chili pepper (washed and de-seeded)
5 plum tomatoes (washed )
2 1/2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 tablespoon dry  parsley
I large red onion (peeled and washed )
Salt to taste
Method :
let the rice soak in water for twenty minutes. While rice is soaking, put tomatoes, Onion, Pepper and Ginger into your blender, add some water and blend to a rough consistency. I would have preferred chopping them instead because  I like my vegetables especially tomatoes and onions chunky but I was in a hurry yeeeaahh it doesn't really matter how you choose to do it though as either way works just right. So, place a wok or a deep frying pan on the fire , when it's heated,  add oil and bring to heat, gently pour in the blended mixture, stir and leave to fry till it becomes thick and the liquid almost dried out, quickly wash and drain rice, add it to the frying mix and stir for 20 seconds, add chicken stock( at this point, I threw in some left over beef that I had chopped in tiny cubes into the mix ), add seasoning cubes and stir, let cook for 15 minutes, chop garlic and throw it in, taste for salt and if need be, correct to your taste . Your rice should be cooked once the liquid is gone but if not, add a little more stock; few seconds before you take it off heat, stir in your Parsley. I had to force myself to take a picture before rushing off to down this meal and no grain was spared. Well...except the ones remaining in the pot.

2 comments: