Saturday 13 December 2014

Nigerian Beans with Plantain



    One of the many Nigerian food I like is Plantain especially the very ripe ones because I could think of a whole lot to do with them one of which is Beans and Plantain Porridge.
Ingredients :
1 cup of beans
3 very ripe Plantain
2 cooking spoon Palm oil
2 small seasoning cubes
Fish fillet
5 Plum Tomatoes
1 big Onion
4 Scotch Bonnet/ Ata Rodo
Salt to taste



Method :
Rinse beans, place in pot, add 5 cups of water, bring to a boil, let boil for additional 20 minutes, drain and rinse. Place beans back in the pot, add water to beans level or just a little above beans level, leave to cook.


 While beans is cooking, heat a fry pan and add oil, allow oil to heat, add Onions and Ata Rodo, stir fry for 2 minutes, add Tomatoes and let fry for 3 minutes,  add seasoning cubes and Fish, gently stir, let cook for a minute or 2, add salt to taste, remove pan from heat.


  Come back to beans; add Onions to beans, peel and chop your Plantain, when beans gets tender, add Plantain to it and gently stir, careful to not let spoon touch the bottom of the pot as that keeps it from burning. Add little water, cover pot and let cook. After few minutes, taste Plantain to see if it's done, if yes, add the fried sauce into the beans, stir, bring to a low heat, taste for salt and correct if need be. A quick method is to cook beans till tender, add plantain and the other ingredients then leave to cook on a low heat.

4 comments:

  1. Update ur blog often please, I come here for inspiration. I would be cooking the beans and plantain recipe tomorrow. From Mimi's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pemisire Eze, thanks for visiting. I apologise for slow updates, Please bear with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That means it would be less cooking for me then. The beans and plantain came out nice. I think I killed it with the tip you gave. I fried the oil with tomato sauce and lots of onion b4 adding to the beans. I was careful with the turning, it didn't get burnt. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Pemisire, even though I'm happy the recipe came out right for you, it still breaks my heart to hear you talk about cooking less. I will have to make it up to you.

    ReplyDelete